I hope all is good with you and you are well and happy. It’s taken 10 weeks but the bedroom decorating project is finally finished, well almost! The new furniture arrived a couple of days ago and we’ve been moving piles of clothes and stuff back into the room this weekend as well as breaking up old furniture and taking it to the local landfill site.
There are still a few things to do, I need to put shelves up in the left hand alcove and that big space above the bed needs some artwork. Fortunately I have a big piece of wood that will fit the space and providing I can paint a good enough painting it will go there. We also need to get some better bedside lighting.
The white patch in the centre of the bed and on the headboard are just sunlight shining through the window.
Here are a few more photos:
We had to move everything out of the bedroom, apart from the bed, while the work was being done, so we’ve been living in chaos for 10 weeks!
Here is a photo of the work in progress:
This was taken early on in the project because we soon realised that moving all the furniture out would make life a bit easier. Unfortunately T got the flu early in January and was really poorly for a few weeks, then even when he recovered from the flu he had terrible back pains so wasn’t able to help much. Fortunately before he became ill we had stripped the walls back to plaster and filled in all the holes, and sanded down and painted the woodwork. After that I was pretty much on my own doing the decorating whenever I got a few minutes to spare. I washed and then painted the ceiling, it took three coats of paint before it looked good, and doing stuff above my head really hurts my neck, but I was determined and so relieved when it was finally OK. I also put lining paper on the walls first and then wall paper – red on two walls and cappucino coloured on the others.
The house was built around 1860 and the floorboards were uneven and had big gaps between then so I purchased hardboard and covered the whole floor with it to make it more even before the new carpet was laid. That was a whole weekend wetting the hardboard and then attaching it to the floor by hammering nails at 4″ intervals across the whole floor.
The thing I am probably most proud of is the window sill I made. I always thought it was strange there was no window sill in the bedroom. I looked at putting a wooden sill in, but it would have cost of lot of money and I’m not sure I’d have done it properly. Then one day I was down in the cellar and I found a sheet of PVC that was left over from when we had the soffits and fascia boards replaced at the back of the house a few years ago. So I decided to use that as it was free. I cut it to the right size and cut it into the wall, stuck and sealed it all in place. It matches the new PVC window we had put in last year, and the window looks so much better with a proper sill.
Here’s the before and after pictures:
There has been so much stuff crammed into my art room for the past 10 weeks I haven’t been able to do any art, even if I’d managed to find the time (which was impossible). I’ve missed that kind of creative activity and I’m looking forward to getting my paints out again soon, although at the moment it is still far too chaotic to be condusive to creativity.
I am really pleased with the bedroom, it has a lovely calm feel about it even with the shocking red walls and red carpet.
The two cats have been quite disturbed about the whole decorating project, but I think they approve now it’s finished. Bill Kat was so impressed he spent a little while investigating the new furniture, then he went out and a short time later came back wtih a lovely present – a live rat! which he delivered to me and let go under the new bed! Fortunately T was able to capture said rat and liberate it outside. I think Bill got it again though because yesterday I found a dead rat of a similar size on the path at the back of the house. I know that the little ‘presents’ he brings in are to show how much he appreciates us, but honestly I wish he wouldn’t do it, it creeps me out! Especially if I have to deal with live rodents on my own.
So I hope all is good in your part of the world and I’m hoping to get back to normal, whatever that is, soon. At the very least to get back into some sort of regular art practice.
Look after yourselves and I’ll see you soon.
© Janette Gregson and ajsartjournal, 2011-2018 unless otherwise stated. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Janette Gregson and ajsartjournal with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.